9.19.2010

Batterie #71 (France) - Gustav Schäfer: At Gustav's Hotel


 

Scans: EEELIINA/THUS & Official French FC
Translation: Szilvie/THA


(grey box at the side)
The culte group of adolescents is returning with Humanoid, their fourth album. Batterie Magazine looked into the Tokio Hotel phenomenon with the drummer Gustav, backstage of Palais Ominsport in Bercy.

(article)
After Scorpions and Rammstein, the most impressive rock phenomenon coming out of Germany is Tokio Hotel. The effective and melodious pop songs of the baby band (that attracts the average age of 15 year olds since their first album Schrei was released) tackle themes as cheeful as love, death, suicide, divorce, and even life after death, have found an important resonance next to adolescents. It's simple, the registrations for German class in French colleges have doubled after the breakout of the group. Tokio Hotel also has a completely unexpected look, created by the singer Bill Kaulitz, whose 'fireworks' haircut would make one pass Robert Smith's (the Cure) hair as a simple brush(?), and who, admittedly, wears things frankly laughable. Also, when we proposed a meeting with the drummer of the teenage band, we were frankly filled with questions. Are we going to have to have this meeting with a real rhythm fool? Be assured - Gustav is a truly good drummer, and thanks to his metronimic pulse, the Tokio Hotel phenomenon can groove without worries.

You all have 'turned back'(?) these last few years. Have you progressed by playing this much on stage?
G: Honestly, I think yes, at least I hope. According to my 'drumtech', I've made lots of progress. He knows what he's saying, since he's seen me play night after night. Also, I prefer that you ask him the question, because I'm intransigent enough towards myself, and I don't like "throwing myself flowers".

Are you frustrated by the fact that a lot of people consider you guys as phoneys, and ignore that you are good musicians?
G: You know, I think that there's also a bunch of people who know that we're secure on our instruments. I don't like that some take me as a pretentious type, but I started taking drumming lessons at the age of four, and today, I'm at a high level. Why not say it? I prefer not to count the people that think that I suck.

By the way, why did you choose drumming?
G
: I was always drawn towards drumming. I believe that it's truly the instrument that I need, because I was an angry kid, a frustrated type. Finally, I found that all the beauty in this instrument resides in contrasts. One can hit it with all his strength, or even cherish it and play very softly. Yes, I admit I wanted to try out the guitar, which is equally as cool, but I got discouraged after an hour. (laughs)

Do you have any musicians in your family?
G
: Not at all! My father had a guitar, and he had a habit of playing me the intro of "Smoke on the Water", but the poor guy, that's all he could pull off. I'm the only musician in the house.

Did you learn to play alone?
G
: Actually, I took some courses at a drumming school, but I always liked to learn tricks while playing, and (? can't understand this next part). I had, nevertheless, aqquired a lot of tricks in drumming with my teachers, but hey, theory and the rhythmic rudiments, they're not very exciting when you're a teen.

We know that Lars Ulrich is your idol. Have you had the opportunity to meet him?
G
: Yes, I had been able to meet Lars in Germany, during Metallica's tour and I was truly quite crazy [to meet him]. It was totally incredible to meet this guy who had started my dreams. I love Lars's style. It gives background, and he produces an enormous power when he plays. I especially like the heavy songs of Metallica like "Enter Sandman" or "Sad But True". At the moment, I'm always pleased when playing one of their songs with great noise.

Would you like to play in a more aggressive group than Tokio Hotel?
G
: In a few years, why not! But I am in my fullest form as the drummer within Tokio Hotel. I put all that I have and all that I love into our songs, and I can recognize 100% of our music.

Besides Lars, what other drummers do you admire?
G
: I find that Danny Carey of 'Tool' is... how do you say it... he is so talented that no word exists that can describe his style. If not, Jerry Gaskill, the drummer of the band 'King's X' is fantastic. I recommend him.

On the Humanoid Tour, your kit is installed on a large platform. What do you feel up there, when you're so high up?
G
: I feel a great sense of domination, and I love that! (laughs) More seriously, at the beginning, it was unstable enough. When we had started to repeat with the platform, the hydraulic cylinders were activated, and I had the feeling I was playing in an elevator. It took quite a lot of time to adjust to it, but now, it's natural, and I'm having a great time.

Don't you feel too isolated from the others?
G
: No, and admittedly, I appreciate getting on stage and finding myself in my own little world. The others are super jealous because of this. I can hit the drums really loud, and nobody would come upt to piss me off. They all complain equally, because I'm seated the entire time, while they have to remain standing throughout the show and move around. Perhaps they are ignoring why I'm required to remain seated. (laughs)

What series of Meinl do you use at the moment?
G
: All my cymbals of my actual set come from the series MB20. I have a 'charley' of 15'' and three crashes (18'', 19'', and 20'') a 'chinoise' of...

(the rest is cut off)

Quotation underneath the picture of his drum set:
"I prefer not to count the people that think that I suck."

Translator Note:
Sorry for any mistakes, I learn Québecois French here, which is a bit different than the French they use in France. I don't recognize some of the sayings, but I tried my best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment